Wondering what to do in NYC? September is the perfect month to explore all that The Big Apple has to offer. Whether you plan on celebrating the end of summer or the upcoming fall season, you’ll discover something for everyone.
For those planning to visit NYC from September 10 to September 16, you’re in for a treat!
What to Do in NYC This Week
There’s a lot going on this week, but if you plan ahead, you can pack in a range of events and activities. NYC is known for its world-class shopping, unforgettable food and unique culture, so why not experience it all?
1. New York Fashion Week
Although this highly anticipated event kicked off on September 5, New York Fashion Week runs until September 14 and takes place all over the city. Here you can feel like an insider without being an elite member of the fashion world. Some shows are only open to those in the industry, but there are plenty of “open-to-the-public” shows and events, including:
- 29Rooms (located at 588 Baltic Street, Brooklyn) — Refinery29 hosts an interactive exhibition, offering a world of culture and creativity. You’ll find installations, activities and performances that celebrate self-expression and visionary art.
- Pink: The History of a Punk, Pretty, Powerful Color (located at Seventh Avenue at 27 Street, Manhattan) — The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology is hosting an historic exhibition that explores gender politics, punk rock, activism and so much more.
2. Tribute in Light
If you’re in NYC on September 11, you’ll witness a captivating and moving art installation when 88 searchlights fill the sky to commemorate the victims of 9/11. Located six blocks south of the World Trade Center, the art installation will be on display from dusk until dawn.
Visitors can access the Memorial Plaza (55 Water Street) from 3 p.m. until midnight to view this installation up close. However, Tribute in Light will be visible from a 60-mile radius around the lower Manhattan area.
3. NYC Honey Fest
The 8th annual NYC Honey Fest takes place on September 15 (during NYC Honey Week). From its location at Beach 106th Street, Rockaway Beach, Queens, Honey Fest will present a number of special events between the hours of 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Whether you’d like to check out the “Bee Marketplace” or meet “Bee Cop” Darren Mays, you won’t want to miss this unique event.
If you stop by, be sure to participate in the annual honey-tasting competition. Sample and then vote for the best NYC honey vintage. You can also pick up products ranging from raw honey to beeswax cosmetics.
4. The Coney Island Film Festival
From September 14 to September 16, The Coney Island Film Festival offers unique screening experiences — plus so much more! Although you can buy individual screening passes for as little as $8, purchasing the $50 full festival pass will include it all.
Opening night kicks off with a night party on Coney Island, featuring a live burlesque show, a two-hour beer and wine open bar, locally sourced food and much more. So, whether you love horror flicks or animation, don’t miss out!
You can also enjoy the following events and activities in NYC this week:
- September 14 and 15 — Childish Gambino @ Madison Square Garden
- September 13 – Sept 23 — The 92nd annual Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy (along Mulberry Street)
- September 14 — New York Yankees vs Toronto Blue Jays @ Yankee Stadium
- September 16 — Taste of North Brooklyn (sample food from 34 local restaurants), and enjoy live music @East River State Park)
Whether you love fashion, food, history or sports, there’s nothing quite like NYC. Make this week a memorable one — and do NOT go home without trying an authentic NYC pizza pie!