Visiting New York with kids? Here is our selection of fun stores to enjoy with your family in the Big Apple:
M&MS World New York
Get lost in a sea of bright candy and related merchandise at M&M’S World in Times Square.
Do you love chocolate candy? Or, are you a particularly big fan of that classic treat, the M&M? If so, head to M&M’S World New York. This giant store in the middle of Times Square is a celebration of all things M&M’S, from the brand’s characters to the colors and flavors of the candy itself. The store has three levels and 25,000 square feet, so expect to spend a good amount of time there. You can create a personalized mix of M&M’S by choosing from 16 different colors. You can also have your picture taken and then put that photo on M&M’S! In addition to the candy, there’s tons of merchandise you can purchase in the store, as well as fun games for kids. The store gets busy as the day progresses, so try to get there early in the morning to avoid the lines. When you’re done shopping at M&M’S World, head out into Times Square and look up—there’s nothing quite like the bright neon lights of the heart of Manhattan.
- This M&M’S store mixes up the directions of the escalators just for fun. So don’t be confused if it looks like someone’s heading down the up escalator!
- There are a lot of M&M’S goods with names on them. Find something you love that’s personalized for yourself or someone you want to buy a gift for.
- You can put text on M&M’S in addition to pictures—choose a fun message to have printed on the candy.
- There’s a restroom on the third floor with a water fountain next door, so your trip to M&M’S World is a good chance to refresh when you’re shopping in Times Square.
- Consider coming here before or after a Broadway show since it’s right in the heart of the theater district.
• 1600 Broadway, New York, NY 10019
Experience the Disney magic in Times Square with three floors full of toys, apparel, and costumes.
Want to make the holidays extra magical? Get your Disney fix at the massive Disney Store in bustling Times Square. Explore three floors stuffed with products from across the Disney universe. Mickey Mouse shares shelf space with toys from Star Wars and Pixar movies like Toy Story and The Incredibles. There’s also a dedicated Marvel section for the superheroes in your family. Make sure to look up and enjoy artwork from classic Disney films. Even the escalators are art exhibits that immerse you in the Disney magic. The first escalator is a tree-lined tunnel straight out of “Tangled,” equipped with glowing lanterns. Times Square gets especially busy during the holidays so expect lines as it gets closer to Christmas. If you need caffeine after racing around the store, there is no shortage of coffee shops within walking distance. After shopping, check out a Broadway show or just enjoy being in the beating heart of New York. You can also walk a few blocks north and unwind in Central Park.
- Shop at one of the largest dedicated Disney stores in the United States.
- The store will release a special Mickey Mouse Memories line starting 12/8. These toys commemorate the creation of Disney’s first character.
- Guests can learn how to draw their favorite Disney, Marvel, or Pixar character.
- Find New York-themed Disney merchandise not available at other stores.
- Take a selfie with a life-size First Order stormtrooper and rule the galaxy.
• 1540 Broadway, New York, NY 10036
At New York City’s Lego Store, the massive selection of Legos, along with completed models of dragons, spaceships, and animals, will bring out the kid in every visitor.
- The Rockefeller Center location has the company’s largest selection of Lego sets. If you can’t find it here, you can’t find it anywhere!
- You’ll find the world’s largest “pick a brick” wall where you can custom creations limited only by your imagination.
- You have to grab a photo by the giant Lego dragon that winds its way through the store.
- Then, look up! Snap a shot of another giant dragon dangling from the ceiling.
- The store can get crowded during peak hours, but don’t fret. Lines move quickly and efficiently because of the highly skilled staff.
• West 50th Street, 620 5th Ave, New York, NY 10020
Visit the world’s most iconic toy store in one of the most vibrant cities known to man.
Although this store is newly reopened, FAO Schwarz as a brand has been in existence for over a century. Now a store synonymous with fun on a massive scale, this newly launched location was created to bring back the magic of toy stores from the days of yore. Offering a toy experience unlike any other, people absolutely love this store because it offers a highly interactive experience that keeps customers entertained for hours on end. Stop by to grab a rare toy or spend the whole day exploring the three-floor store filled with toys and candy of all kinds. This is a great place for newcomers to create lasting memories, while older customers experience nostalgia. Kids and the young at heart will likely be overcome with the joy and wonder that comes along with discovering their new favorite toys.
- Staff members provide demos of various toys and games throughout the day.
- An oversized piano like the one in the movie Big is available for pictures and demos.
- An indoor stuffed animal zoo offers one of the biggest selection of large, small, rare, and popular stuffed animals.
- Shoppers can build an exclusive FAO Schwarz bear at the store’s in-house Build-a-Bear station.
- Purchase exclusive new and vintage toys and candy that are hard to find anywhere else in the city.
• 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10111
American Girl Place
Not just a toy shop – an entire experience for pre-teen girls.
Since 1986, American Girl has charmed girls and their families with their unique line of 18-inch dolls. The company uniquely positions each doll in an era of American history, with a full line of tie-in clothing and products to deepen the learning experience. This American Girl flagship store doesn’t just sell dolls and their accessories: it curates an entire experience centered on pre-teen girls and their favorite toys. Drop by the American Girl Cafe for tasty brunch, lunch, dinner, and teatime treats, or go with your doll to get matching manicures and spa treatments at the American Girl Spa. If none of the pre-made dolls catch your eye, customize a new doll for your daughter and take it home the same day, with the store’s One of a Kind service. This unusual store is centrally located to many major uptown shopping destinations, with Louis Vuitton and Saks Fifth Avenue just a few blocks away.
- A doll-centered experience means the dolls go everywhere. For instance, bring them by the cafe so they can sit with you in special chairs.
- Special events like cookie-baking and shows focus on helping girls bond with their American Girl dolls.
- Customize dolls with accessories like sunglasses and necklaces.
- Has your doll seen better days? Bring it to the American Girl Doll Hospital for some TLC.
- Contact the store to plan a party for your daughter and her friends — and their dolls.
• 75 Rockefeller Plaza